Wednesday, February 5, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Giant Starburst Quilt

At the end of last year, Canoe Ridge Creations blog posted a quilt along for a giant starburst quilt.  I loved her finished quilt and wanted to join the QAL right away but I had too much Christmas sewing still to do.  :(
 However, I did go ahead and buy the fabric amounts that were stated in the requirements.  I chose 4 solids that are all Kona Cottons.  They are turquoise, chartreuse, mulberry and corn yellow.  The white fabric is a text print called Poppy Patio from Jill Finley for Henry Glass fabrics.  It's a very subtle text print.

As soon as I could after the new year, I started this quilt.  I'm hoping to have the top finished by February 13th which is the last day to enter into our local quilt show.  You have until March to actually finish the quilt so keep your finger's crossed that I can finish the top by next week.
This is what I have so far.
I just need to do the half square triangle squares and then sew it all together.  It's going to end up being 60" x 60".  I know you can't tell scale by looking at this pic.

I love it so far.  
I'll keep you posted.

P.S.  I've decided to participate in A Lovely Year of Finishes hosted by Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa of Sew Bittersweet Designs.  The idea behind A Lovely Year of Finishes is to set goals each month and then try to complete your goal.  If you do, and you link back up with their linky parties, you can win a prize.  But more importantly, you have finished something and that always feels great!


So my goal for February is to complete the quilt top, sandwich, baste, quilt and bind my Giant Starburst Quilt.
 *linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and a Lovely Year of Finishes goal linky party.*

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty - I really like solids in quilts they always look so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of the subtle text print as your background solid. Looks fantastic! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I made one with the QAl but didn't get it finished till last month. I just love it so much I want to make more. I hope you do well in the Quilt show with it because it will look amazing when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made one of these too... also in Konas. It comes together very quickly. Best of luck for getting it finished for your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Your goal to tackle those UFO's is an inspiration. Just cleaned my sewing room and I have enough UFO's to to keep me busy for years! (Not that it will stop me from starting others...)
    PS I FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your lovely comments. I can't wait to get this one finished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.