Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Pioneer Woman's Easy Calzones - A Recipe

I accidentally came across one of Ree Drummond's shows  (The Pioneer Woman) on the Food Network so I stopped to watch.  I knew who she was from her blog but had just never taken the time to watch her show.  On this particular episode, she was making Easy Calzones.  Well, my family loves calzones and the best place in town that had them, closed recently.  As I watched her show, I realized that these really did seem like easy calzones.  You use frozen yeast bread loaves as the bread and everything else is just pizza stuff.

Since then, I've made these 2 times and both times they were eaten very quickly - even the leftover ones.  Here is part of my last batch.  I'm dreadful at taking food pictures.  The ones on the Pioneer Woman website are way better.


Here is the recipe.  If you are visual, she does a step by step in pictures on her blog here.

Ingredients

  • 16 whole Frozen, Unrisen Dinner Rolls (I Use Rhodes) Note: Can Also Use Frozen Bread Loaves.
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 1 pound Breakfast Or Italian Sausage
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • 15 ounces, fluid Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1-1/2 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • Black Pepper To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
  • Marinara Sauce, For Serving
  • 1 whole Egg Beaten

Preparation Instructions

Place frozen rolls (or frozen bread loaves) on a baking sheet to thaw. Cover with a tea towel and let thaw and rise for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Add sausage and cook until brown, crumbling the sausage as you stir. Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Remove from pan and allow to cool on a plate.
In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley. When sausage is cool, stir it in. Set aside.
When rolls are thawed and risen, roll them out on a lightly floured surface until paper thin. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons (approximately) filling onto half of the dough circle. Fold half of the dough over itself, then press edges to seal.
*Note: If you want a larger calzone, use frozen bread loaves and use about 1/4 to 1/3 of the loaf for each calzone.
Brush surface of calzone with beaten egg, then bake for 10-13 minutes, or until nice and golden brown. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
**************************************************************

 One of mine on a purple plate - someday I'll take better food pictures.

The longest part of this recipe is cooking the sausage.  These are so easy and they taste so good. 
I don't make my own marinara.  We use Bertolli brand and they have several flavors, all of which are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.