Thursday, November 21, 2013

Houston International Quilt Festival Part 1 - Preparing to go

Sometimes I have so many things to say on my blog that I don't know where to start and I get overwhelmed.  That's why it's been so long since I posted.  I just didn't know where to start.

On October 29th (Tuesday) I headed down to Houston for the International Quilt Festival which is awesome by the way.  If you are interested in sewing or quilting and you have a chance to go, take it.  They have so many classes, so many quilts to look at and so many vendors to shop from.

Before I left, I made some prayer flags for the prayer flag swap that was taking place.  I had never made one before and honestly, I had to look them up to see what they even were.  My friend Robyn, who also went to the festival, told me all about the ones she had made and sort of talked me into trying it out.  (Thanks Robyn!! I had fun making them and hanging out with you at the festival!!)  So I ended up making 5 and here they are.

 I like to think of them as inspiration flags instead of prayer flags as most of them don't have anything to do with religion or prayer.  I'm not sure where they got their name but I like Inspiration flag better.
 There's too much light in all these pictures and it washed them out.  Ug!  Someday I'm going to master simple photography.
 I bought a sack of these old quilted hearts years ago and I still have some.  I just sewed it onto this batik fabric which looks like it was painted with water colors.
 More batik fabric.  I cut the passage about hope out of a fabric that I've had for awhile. 
 I sewed these sweet felt flowers onto some natural muslin and stamped it with a "sending happy thoughts" stamp. 
 This one says Poppy Garden.  I hand stamped that and sewed on the felt flowers and ribbon.  And of course buttons.  Everything needs buttons.
 A washed out close up view. 
 I also needed a handmade name tag holder.  I sewed this one up really quickly and attached all my pins to it.
 Half moon modern fabric on the front and Michael Miller stripe on the back.
 This year the festival took place over Halloween.  The had a party called Quiltapalooza.  It was a Halloween dress up party/dinner.  Lots of fun.  I made myself this fun skirt.  Guess what I went as.
Closeup.  There was lime green, black and black glitter tulle. 
In my next post, part 2, I'll show my whole costume with some quilt show pics.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.