Sunday, June 30, 2013

Heart and Soul Quilt

I have a fabulous quilt finish today.  It's one I've been working on for several weeks and finally finished a few days ago.

I'm calling it my Heart and Soul quilt.

One day while perusing my facebook feed, I saw this heart quilt block pattern that was being shared by Aurifil.  It was their designer block of the month by Katy Jones of Monkey Do.  The block is called Heart and Soul.  I immediately fell in love and had to make it.  So I stopped everything and started cutting up squares.
**The full pattern download is at the end of the interview post.**

I could see the finished quilt in my head hanging on the dining room wall.  I knew I wanted it to be a rainbow of colors.  So I just grouped squares together based on the color wheel.

Here is blue/purple:  (I even used some of my Michael Miller Mirror Ball fabric that I've been hoarding)
Here is red and pink:

Different shades of green from aqua to lime to dark green.  I thought it looked cool:
And yellow with oranges:
(notice how I don't have a perfect point at the end of my heart?  No one's perfect, right?)
Here is the lovely back.  I've had this great swirly multicolored fabric for some time and could never figure out what to do with it.  So, since it basically had the same colors as the quilt front, I thought I'd use it for the back.  I did more improvisational piecing with this one and I love how it came out.
The "LOVE" letters are paper pieced following a tutorial that I had found on Sew Mama Sew by Kelly from kelbysews.  In her tutorial, she made them into an adorable mini quilt which I have had on my to do list for some time.   So, I just decided "why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone" and added them to the bottom of my hearts.  She sells the whole wonky paper pieced alphabet in her etsy shop.  If you haven't tried paper piecing but have been wanting to, her letters are easy and cute.

Up close of my cool swirly fabric from the back:

I bound the quilt with a text print called Scribble Notes in black from the Architextures line by Robert Kaufman.  I really like this fabric and I think I should have bought more.
I quilted it with organic straight lines going horizontally.


The fabric used in the hearts was from my stash and the back ground fabric for each block is white tonal fabric also from my stash - I know you can't tell in the pictures.  I used the same white tonal fabrics for the background of the love letters.  The remaining white background fabric as well as the white fabric used on the back are Kona Cotton in white.
I can't remember who made the colorful swirly fabric I used on the back but I think it might be from Michael Miller.

The quilt measures 31" by 34".
I love it and I'm excited to hang it on my dining room wall.  I plan to hand sew ribbon loops to the top and thought I'd try those 3M products that are removable hooks.  Anyone ever tried those?  Did they work ok?

I'd love to hear your comments about my projects.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Also, please follow me on bloglovin or here on this blog.  My Pinterest link is at the top left - I pin lots of great quilts and quilt ideas as well as recipes and such. 

**Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday @ Better off Thread and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love, love, love that scribbles binding, and the swirly fabric is stunning on that quilt. I have not tried those removable hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I think I'm going to order more of that scribbles fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect name! Perfect quilt! Love everything about it....the myriad of colours, the fabric designs, the hearts, the word LOVE, the binding.....oh... and the gorgeous back!! 'Tis beautiful! Thanks for sharing the links...I will have to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! Thanks for sharing the links. That lettering is exactly what I have been looking for! I have never paper pieced before though, yikes :) Great little quilt, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! Really wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.