Thursday, August 16, 2012

Taco Bake - a recipe

We don't eat alot of meat at my house.  Therefore, I don't buy alot of meat.  I buy chicken that they slice for me in the deli for sandwiches and I buy those packages of precooked bacon that I sometimes put on my sandwiches but that's about it.

However, when you have a ginourmous 13 year old growing boy who is a total carnivore, you have to start rethinking things when you go to the grocery store.  It's been very hard for me because frankly, I'm not even sure what all the cuts of beef are.

I do know how to buy ground beef though and I've been making alot of tacos.  But tacos get old after awhile.  So, I've been trying to come up with something else to make.
And while standing in the taco shell aisle at the grocery store, it came to me.  Taco Bake.  I was actually looking at this box of some kind of taco bake stuff and thinking that it looked good in the picture when I decided, "hey, I can make my own taco bake."  SO, I did.

My Taco Bake Casserole Recipe:

1 lb. of ground beef  (I use the 96% lean kind)
1 package of taco seasoning
amount of water needed as stated on the back of the taco seasoning package
1 onion
flour tortillas
cheddar cheese or the mexican cheese mixtures or a combination of the two
fresh cherry tomatoes from the plants in the backyard  (or whatever kind they have at the grocery)

I browned the ground beef and added the chopped onion until it was cooked (see through).  Then I added the taco seasoning and water and let it simmer for a bit.

I started layering the stuff in the pan.  First the meat mixture and then a layer of tortillas, then cheese - repeat until all the meat is gone.  Then I topped it off with more cheese and tomatoes.

I made some of that Rotel dip to go along because our arteries weren't being clogged enough.

And I have to say, it was simple but it was really good.  Both my husband and son liked it and we even ate the leftovers.
Tonight, I'm making some kind of steak that I've been marinating since yesterday.  Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.