Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Look what I made!

I've been trying to make a blog post for several days about this great looking July 4th cake that I made but for some reason, I can't post the pics.  I'm so frustrated by it that I just have to cuss! $#(%)#((%&#)9877124##

Okay, I feel better now.  Let's all just move past that.  It was really AWESOME though.

I bought this sweet jelly roll at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.

I bought it to try this - a table runner, which I found in the Summer edition of Quilts and More magazine.

I wanted to make it for my MIL for Christmas.  It will be only my second ever quilting project.  The first one was about 20 years ago and it was a Christmas tree skirt which I made for myself and we still use it every year.  It's really cute.  Here's a pic of it around our tree a few years ago.  It was all hand sewn and hand quilted.  I'm not sure why I didn't use a sewing machine except that I think I felt like I was cheating if I didn't hand sew it.  I no longer feel that way :)

I have enough of the jelly roll left to make myself one too or I may use it for something else.

Anyhoo, I finished piecing the top together on Saturday.  I think it came out pretty good.  I made it about a foot longer than the instructions so that it would hang off the ends of my MIL's table.  The table in the pic is my table.  Her table is oval and smaller than mine so I think it will work well.
Now I just need to finish up the backing and then I'm going to quilt it with my machine.


I'll keep you updated :)

4 comments:

  1. Nice--both the runner and the tree skirt. Quilting's something I've never gotten into, perhaps because, as both my mother and my MIL did, I have far more quilts than I'll ever use. What would I do with more? But your smaller projects are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I LOVE the fabrics you used - the colors, the prints... perfect! Your piecing is so neat. I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Connie!
    Nan, I have enough quilts too. In fact, when I went to the quilt show a few months ago, my husband specifically said "Don't bring home any quilts. We have enough".
    I think I'll stick to the smaller quilting projects for awhile although I may try to make a throw for the sofa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super cute!! Great job! I wish I could sew. :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.