Thursday, March 3, 2011

This Weeks Sweet

This weeks sweet treat was a Banana Sour Cream Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.
Yumm!

I get recipes from the Kraft website every once in a while and this was one of them.  Their recipes usually use Kraft products, of course.  But you can substitute other brands.

I made this recipe for Sunday lunch.  My in laws were coming over and I thought they'd like it.  And they did!  My father in law ate 2 pieces plus they took some home with them.  My son didn't like it though.  He said the icing didn't go with the cake and honestly, I kind of agree with him.  I think if I make it again, I'll use a chocolate buttercream frosting or even vanilla buttercream.

If you do make this recipe, I don't recommend that you use fat free cream cheese for the icing.  It makes the icing runny and sticky. 

Here is the recipe, courtesy of kraft.com:

What You Need:
1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3)
1 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream  (I used Light Daisy)
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil  (I used light olive oil)
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar
1 cup finely chopped PLANTERS Walnuts

HEAT oven to 350°F.

BEAT first 5 ingredients with mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape bottom and side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 min. Pour into greased and floured 13x9-inch pan.
BAKE 35 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

BEAT cream cheese and butter with mixer until well blended. Gradually beat in sugar.
REMOVE cake from pan. Carefully cut cake crosswise in half using serrated knife. Place 1 cake half, top-side down, on plate; spread with some of the cream cheese frosting. Top with remaining cake half, top-side up. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Press nuts into sides. Keep refrigerated.


*****************
All of the adults liked the cake but the kiddo didn't.  The cake part was REALLY good.  Very moist and you could really taste the bananas.  We give it a thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.