Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's Fair time!

It's time for the East Texas State Fair!  Doesn't that name sound grand?  I think that's why they use it. 

My little family and I (plus my husband's friend) trudged out to the fair on Saturday night.  I forced them to go that night because the Bellamy Brothers were in concert on the "big" stage at 8 pm.  I've loved the Bellamy Brothers since I was about 12 and heard them in concert at Fan Fair (a country music festival in Nashville, TN) way back in the early 80's.  They were really funny and entertaining back then and they still are.  Plus, they're songs are fun and catchy.

Our first stop was the Arts and Crafts building so that I could see my pincushions and see what ribbons I got, if any.  Excitement!  My "Flower Garden" set got a blue ribbon!  YAY!  First place!

And my Christmas ornament set got third place.  yay!  I was not as excited about that but I do realize they could have been better.  I'm going to start working on more and I'm going to take Nancy's suggestion that I put the ribbons on the outside with decorative buttons.   Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy!!  I'll let you all know how that turns out.


Then of course, we gorged ourselves on foot long corn dogs and batter fried brownies.  We got pie to go and brought it home.  The food is actually the best part of our fair.  We have tons of food booths that are owned by local churches and restaurants, so it's not the usualy carny food.  It's yummy!!  And fair food calories don't count!!

At 8 pm, I ditched the family (they went to watch my son ride on the rides and play the games - he won a stuffed penguin) and I went to the concert.  It was awesome!  They've just gotten better with age.  Still fun on stage and I still love their songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.