Monday, August 16, 2010

First ever bottle cap pincushion

I've long admired the bottle cap pincushion - in all their tiny goodness.  There are many sold on etsy using recycled soda or water bottle caps as their base and they are adorable.  Little tiny works of art in felt.  In fact, I bought this one from Refabulous almost 2 years ago.  I long to start collecting them. 

I started making one several months ago but never got past sewing the bottom to the band that goes around the side.
So this past weekend, I made one from start to finish.  I followed the instructions on Craftstylish written by Jen Segrest who I believe has been selling these for some time.  Instead of using a soda cap, I used a peanut butter jar cap - so my pincushion isn't little bitty, it's fairly big - about 3 inches across.  I made the flower and leaf on top using my own flower drawing.  It's alittle bit primitive but I tried really hard to keep my stitches uniform and it was good practice for me.  I can't wait to make one with a soda cap.


The only complaint I have about the instructions is that it leads you to believe you can embroidery the side of the pincushion after it is completely finished.  How do you do that?  You have to bring your needle and floss up from the back of the felt but the back is all sewn up into the pincushion.  You can't get to the back because your pincushion is complete.

Huh.  That was a stumper for me.  There I sit, all ready to embroider pretty flowers around my base but couldn't figure out how to do it.  Next time I'm just going to embroider each piece before attaching them all together.

I really enjoyed making this.  I think I've come up with a Christmas idea that would make cute teacher's gifts.  I'll keep you posted with how they turn out.  I have to collect more bottle caps first.

**Don't forget to enter my blog giveaway.  Only 2 more days to enter.  Just click here.

2 comments:

  1. That is really cute. I like them too. I always wanted one. Although Jen and I do not really get along I do admit she is a pincushion makin' fool, lol. She does make some really nice pincushions.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so cute and bright! I love the flower design. I, too, first learned from Jen's tutorial. But I must not have been paying close attention, because I always embroider / embellish the sides (and all other pieces) first, before assembling. ;) Great job on your pincushion, and I look forward to seeing more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.